Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Midnight Walk

Every year, on the 2nd of August, over 1 million people walk the Romería to Cartago to visit La Virgen de Los Angeles for reflection, the experience, or most commonly, to fulfill the promise they made to her in return for answered prayers.  This year, the university participated in an EcoRomería to mitigate the amount of trash that accumulates during the pilgrimage to the cathedral.  So, no, I didn't do the over 15 mile walk, but I did go to Cartago and take photos while sorting some trash from recyclable materials!


On the drive to Cartago at 11pm, we saw many people walking, but you never saw an end to the crowd, nor the beginning.

Almost to the church, 2am (a shot taken from the recycling post I was at)!

3:30am... There were many people sleeping around the church and lining up to catch a glimpse of the church inside, I hear it makes the walk worth it :)

Although the volunteer group opted out of waiting in the VERY long line to enter the church, we're glad we could be a part of the experience.
Thanks for reading,
Ivana

No comments:

Post a Comment