That time has come in my abroad experience where I wonder how many days I have left and wonder if I can picture myself not in Peru. So far it looks like things will be wonderful back at Davidson, except for the whole question of whether I can reach my secret life goals with my chosen major and concentration, but this post has been a long time in the making, so we'll leave that topic for another time...
The past few weeks, as you can probably tell from the fact that you haven't heard from me in so long, have been utterly incredible. Yes, I've had moments where I'm homesick, sick of having to walk everywhere in the weather extremes (taking a taxi is risky and combi's (rickety, spaceship-like minivans that pack people tight like puzzle pieces) are unpleasant, and sick because of the new foods and undrinkable water.
I'm up before sunrise almost every day to go running (let's be honest, I jog/walk) or to get ready for classes (let's be honest, usually they're not University classes, but rather my Portuguese class that I go to learn something, sure, but mostly to meet people). Then I have two internships I go to on different days of the weeks: a TV station (where I observe and beg for responsibilities) and a newspaper (where me and a couple other Davidson students stalk journalists and/or take photos). Then come lunch and university class...
In the evenings, I come home to do some homework, go to the occasional guitar lesson taught by my a Davidson students host brother for less than 6 dollars an hour, and/or hang out with my neighbors if my host mom's not home to entertain my people hungry ENFJ-self. Hanging out with my neighbors (which has been compared to the "Big Bang Theory" and "New Girl") usually consists of watching movies while drinking fruit juice (which I just found out is made with tap water, which means I must finally have gotten accustomed to it since I haven't been sick from it!!!), learning how to cook since two are chefs, comparing musical interests, eating panetón, or having profound conversations where my Spanish language skills usually fail me or I'm so challenged intellectually that I don't know what to say and am at a loss for words... and I love it.
On the weekends, I've had a mix of Davidson fun and Peruvian-style outings, and have begun attending an incredible church (my Portuguese teacher, aka Brazilian friend, invited me) where there's a Brazilian and a Cuban pastor (I surprisingly understand the Cuban better) and great worship music let by the youth students.
Some random things you may find interesting:
Every week or so I see some family friends of people I know from Florida who treat me with so much care that it's hard to leave them. They're an older couple and always welcome me with open arms. I leave encouraged and re-energized, ironically, despite and because of their old age.
I've decided that anyone who wants to go on a diet doesn't need to do anything more than just go to Arequipa... I think everyone in the Davidson program will agree that there's an interesting diet here I like to call the D.A.W. diet.
D... stands for sudden outbreaks of diarrhea, any DIPer (Davidson In Peru) can testify... enough said.
A... stands for altitude, where digestion is absurdly slow and you wonder how you can survive waiting until 3:30pm for lunch when in the states it's hard to wait until 12:30pm.
W... stands for walking. Like I mentioned earlier, it's the best, safest alternative and despite the pollution from all of the cars on the streets, it's actually quite pleasant (the city is beautiful and surrounded by snow-capped volcanoes, and you usually run into someone you recognize). I've estimated I spend an average of 2 hours a day just walking to get places.
My least favorite part of the day... CORRECTION... What I dread every day is taking a shower where you can only get hot water if you lower the water pressure to almost trickle form and freeze reaching for the bar of soap.
My favorite part of the day is coming back from a run (if I run, that is) and feeling proud that I've actually run (because if you know me, you know that I can't run for my life), hanging out with my neighbors, or when I come home to a fridge full of DELICIOUS fruit that I can eat until my hands turn yellow (mmm papaya)--my host mom knows me so well!
Thank you for reading, and, just so you have a heads up of what's to come, I'll give you some clues:
I'm reading up on Evo Morales and my fingernails were just be-dazzled for free.
Probably missing you :)
Penny
reading on evo morales are we???
ReplyDelete