Search This Blog

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Thanks

Well hello there,
           There's four people who I don't think I thanked enough for giving me the cultural experience I so craved during my time in Costa Rica.  The first is Oscar (who I met in the musical group "Rondalla"--I've posted about them a couple of times), who besides being a musical genius, is a great dance partner.  He makes his dance partner look like they can dance too, which is pretty much the definition of a good male lead.  Besides almost losing a tooth and dozing off by the end of a REALLY long afternoon/night of salsa music (12 hrs!), I enjoyed every time I went out with Oscar and their tropical music band, dancing with them when they weren't playing, and watching people of all ages power across the dance floor so elegantly.
            Dani, my host sister, spoiled me by taking me places that I know so many other people don't get the chance to see.  She took me driving with Roberto, their family friend, and we'd end up places that I'd never seen, like on top of a mountain where the view at night was SPECTACULAR with all of the city lights.  Sometimes they'd force me out of the house, but I loved spending time with them when we went out, even if we didn't have a destination.
            Lastly, there's Daniela C (I met her at a Baptist church in Heredia), who took me out to play soccer on sundays with her family (her HUGELY extended family)!!!  They were so much fun to be around and loved the sport because of how it brings the family together, I was even called a granddaughter by the cutest little grandma you ever saw!  I was so lucky to be able to blend in as much as I could into their huge hispanic family and that her brother, Andrés, her parents, her cousins, uncles and her aunts treated me like family from the start (especially when I was ifsy/uncomfortable about my first Heredia host family).  I am really so blessed to have met them and to have been able to find out so soon how kind the Costa Rican people really are (and boy am I glad I eventually changed families becuase I realized the family dynamic I was missing out on).  GRACIAS DANIELA!
             So I realize there are many more people I need to thank, and that I haven't even given the people above justice for all they did for me, but I hope this little post encourages other people studying abroad to take advantage of little opportunities to go out with people from where they're staying, even if the destination is unclear, you just never know what or who you'll come across, and the time you spend together is what you'll look back on as some of the most memorable times you had abroad.

Here are some photos and brief descriptions below:


Charlie Rivera Orquestra--Oscar played saxaphone and bongos

Running into Oscar at Kentooky (KFC)

They get along I promise jaja Dani looks like she's gonna slap Roberto.


It's hard to get a great shot with my camera while driving and on a bumpy road, but this is the best I got, I kinda like it!

What a cute dog!!!  I love how people just know people in Costa Rica, we went on a 45 minute drive and stopped to talk to people Roberto and Dani know, Costa Rica's a country with huge landscape differences an hour away from each other, but it still has a small town feel!

These two (Steve and Deiby) were super intense in the entrepreneur class I took... They'll be the founders of a healthy living restaurant they call "Papaya's" some day... I can't WAIT!!! Also, Deiby (guy on the right) will probably be studying abroad in the states sometime soon!

This is my group for the entrepreneur class (Nancy, Fabiola, Sofia [exchange student from Spain], and I).  During the fair, we presented our project--the sales of natural, pure honey to young children as a healthy and educational alternative to refined sugar and other sweeteners!

My chinese teacher, Monica, was so cool!  She supported me at events on campus and taught me so much in the classroom (I was the only student who showed up to Mandarin III)... LOVE HER!

Okay, so I just realized I don't have any photos of Daniela C :( So I figured the next option is showing photos from the soccer game I went to (Alajuela vs. Heredia)
My family told me this guy is legendary in Costa Rica because of his success as a runner, I think, but in case you know who he is, this is for you.


Waaaa

I like this shot!

JAJA and this is so funny--my host mom, Flory, and host sister, Dani, are sitting in the white... they're total Saprissa fans and were bummed Alajuela won (Dani told me Alajuela eventually won the whole soccer series in the country, good thing it's the only team jersey I got--I'm wearing it below)

I got it because it's Davidson colors!

And YES, Ticos are HUGE fútbol fans, and occasionally there's a dumb brawl.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!
Iva

1 comment: