The ball that drops on New Year's Eve is extremely small.
I've been away from the cold so long that I struggled to put on gloves.
The subway system is not scary.
I tagged along with my mom and a co-worker of hers to New York City for a couple of days this week. While they were out working during the day, I roamed NYC trying to be as cheap as possible (more to come about this later), and trying to look like I knew what I was doing... which is funny because things always worked out despite my cluelessness, so I didn't even have to know. On the first day, I took the subway for my first time alone to the American Museum of Natural History. I was BLOWN AWAY! The museum was only $25 (with a student ID--which I didn't have with me but was convincing enough to be treated the same) to go to all of the exhibits, movie showings, and rooms in the muesum. Besides the normal museum stuff, I went to the butterfly exhibit, space exhibit, observatory screening, and IMax movie. I probably could have gone a couple more days through the museum to really see it all, but o well.
The butterfly exhibit was the best one I have EVER been too, which is funny because the bazillion butterflies in the butterfly garden were from either Florida or Costa Rica.
The space exhibit was super fun too, but mostly because there was this thing that blew out air that smelt like the moon.
In the observatory theater, I got sore in the neck again lol (banana boat flashback) but the movie shown was very educational and well narrated by Whoopie Goldberg.
BUT my favorite part of the whole museum was the IMax movie "Born to be Wild". It was about orangutan and elephant orphans. It was soooo cute and inspirational! I kept finding myself gasping and "aw"ing. I wanted it to never end; it was incredibly well done, cinematographically, editing-wise... just all around beautifully done.
I had no time for lunch while I was at the museum, but luckily I had asked for two bags of PopCorners on the plane ride up (Thank you JETblue--always take a snack even if you're not hungry, that way you can save it for later!), had a banana from breakfast (which was "free" at the hotel), and had nuts from back home to nibble on all day.
<-- Strange pose... no clothes-->
On the second day, I went to the Rockefeller Plaza via subway, hoping to find something I wanted to do. I walked past the ice-skating rink and went into 30 Rock (ohhh, so that's where the name of the show comes from) and stared at the ticket info for the building touristy things. I noticed a girl next to me looking just as confused as I was. Before I knew it we were in line for tickets to the Top of the Rock (to see the view from the top of the building) and NBCUniversal Studio Tours (NBC Studios is in the same building). The girl I met and I ended up hanging out all day! Her name's Jane and she's from New Zealand, about my age, and loves to travel too. She was by herself because her cousin (whom she was visiting) was at work. After the visit to the highest floors of the building to take photos, we went to the NBCUniversal Studio tour (It was AMAZING).
Then, we found out we could get standby tickets for the afternoon filming of the Dr. Oz show... first in the stand-by line, we made it in! Dr. Oz is really cool (from what I could tell back in the audience, of course). He's so smart without having to read off of the projector when he goes on his doctor tangents. I learned a lot and even got a free cookbook! I had to leave early to meet my mom outside to catch the plane, tear tear, so I said good-bye to Jane, sneaked out of the studio with an NBC Page, and went into the taxi where I couldn't stop talking about my amazing two days....New York City. I'm a fan.
-Ivana





No comments:
Post a Comment